As freelance editors, we work for ourselves – we are not a publishing house, who will have much higher overhead costs, hidden fees, and several employees who all take a piece of the pie. We are prepared to dedicate ourselves solely to your manuscript in order to maximize the return for your investment in our professional services.
FIRST STEP: INITIATING QUERY
Contact us via email (email@example.com) with a brief, one-paragraph description of your manuscript. If your work falls within our area of expertise, we will ask to see your complete manuscript.
SECOND STEP: SENDING YOUR MANUSCRIPT
Following our acceptance of your manuscript, you may forward a complete electronic copy of your manuscript as an attachment to an email (send to: firstname.lastname@example.org). We ONLY accept manuscripts as Microsoft Word documents (Series 2003-2016) sent as an attachment. We will NOT accept unauthorized hard copies of your manuscript.
At this point, you will also send a $50 (CAD) base fee for us to provide an immediate evaluation and quote for the final work. We will invoice you through PayPal. This fee is NON-REFUNDABLE; however, if you decide to continue with our services after you receive your evaluation and quote, we will discount this fee, applying it instead to the final cost of our services.
THIRD STEP: EVALUATION & QUOTE
Following receipt of your manuscript and your payment of $50 (see above), we will provide you with a brief evaluation of your manuscript format and let you know if you need to make any minor modifications and resend it to us in order to proceed. We will ask you to identify the specific types of editing you require. Finally, we will provide you with a quote for our editorial services.
STEP FOUR: CONTRACT
After you have decided to hire our services, we will send you a contract via email detailing the specific requirements for editing you have chosen. We will also include the total fees for the services. You will need to review the contract, sign it, and return via email before we can proceed with your project.
STEP FIVE: RETURN OF MANUSCRIPT AND REVIEW
When we have completed our assessment and review of your project, we will email back to you the marked up version and our multi-page commentary. At this point, our services will be complete; however, if you would like, we offer two follow-up packages as well, should you wish to continue the process of editing after you have revised your manuscript (please review these packages at the bottom of this page).
Our prices are as follows (all amounts in Canadian Dollars –CAD, remittable via PayPal, money order, or bank draft):
Base Charge: $50 (invoiced through PayPal)
This fee covers our immediate assessment and evaluation of your manuscript, and our final quote for our editorial services. It also includes the cost of any materials (such as printouts or photocopying, long distance fees, couriers or postage, associated travel, data services)
Setup Fee: $0.10 Per Page
This fee is for us to ensure proper setup and formatting of your manuscript.
We price our work by the word – as such, this service winds up being significantly less than most others in the industry. Many others charge up to $70 an hour for services, rendering the work exponentially more expensive. Depending on the type of editing you require and request, you may find that the time frame for the completion of the job may vary from the approximations included below.
- For manuscripts up to 30,000 words: $0.02 (two cents per word). For example, a work of 25,000 words would have a fee of $500. On average, this length of review takes approximately 24 – 32 work hours to complete.
- For manuscripts of 31,000 – 50,000 words: $0.021 (2.1 cents per word). For example, a work of 50,000 words would have a fee of $1,050. On average, this length of review takes approximately 32 – 55 work hours to complete.
- For manuscripts of 51,000 – 80,000 words: $0.023 (2.3 cents per word). For example, a work of 80,000 words would have a fee of $1,840. On average, this length of review takes approximately 56 – 75 work hours to complete.
- For manuscripts over 80,000 words: $0.025 (2.5 cents per word). For example, a work of 100,000 words would have a fee of $2500. On average, this length of review takes approximately 76 – 100 work hours to complete.
If you send us a manuscript with 68,750 words written over 278 pages, the total cost for services would be:
68,750 words @ $0.023 = $1581.25
278 pages @ $0.10 = $27.80
Total Cost = $1609.05 (Less $50 for the initial base charge)
Final Cost for Editorial Services = $1559.05 (Plus GST/HST for Canadian residents)
All Canadian residents must pay GST/HST. GST/HST rates for the current year (by province) are as follows:
- Alberta, British Columbia, Manitoba, NWT, Nunavut, Quebec, Saskatchewan, Yukon – 5% GST
- New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, PEI – 15% HST
- Ontario – 13% HST
So, given the example above, if you are a resident of Ontario, your total cost would be: $1761.73, including HST.
OTHER SERVICES AND FEES:
All prices above reflect the INITIAL editing services completed and contracted between the Editor and the Client. Once the INITIAL editing services of any manuscript is complete and returned to the Client, the Client will have the opportunity to purchase a heavily discounted package for follow up services. There are two packages available:
PACKAGE ONE: DISCUSSIONS AND QUESTIONS ($50 CAD)
For this package, the Author/Client will have the opportunity to ask questions of the Editor (via phone, Skype, or email) to discuss the suggested changes provided on the original edited manuscript. This package includes a maximum of one email, or one 30-minute phone or Skype call. Any overages in time will be rated at $10 per every fifteen minutes.
PACKAGE TWO: PROOFREADING ($450 CAD)
This package includes all of the elements of package one (above) as well as the following:
- Proofreading the same manuscript for which the Editor was initially contracted, once it has been edited based on the Editor’s suggestions
- Proofreading includes checking final proofs of formatted, edited material for adherence to structure and for minor, mechanical errors in copy (such as spelling or punctuation errors)
- Making final suggestions to ready the work for publication